Saturday 21 May 2011

“A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step”- Confucius

Stepping into the lake (photo by me)
I feel like my first blog should basically define me; who I am, what I stand for and what I'm doing with my life (summarized).

I can throw out random things about me such as my favourite movies, books and interests.  But that’s not me and you can easily click on "view my complete profile" on the top left hand corner of the blog to view that fun stuff.  Basically, I’m someone who is aware of what I want and how to get it. I value my life and don’t want to waste any of it. I think that the world is a truly beautiful place and is filled with lots of interesting people.  In fact, everyone has a good story to tell. The problem is that there’s either no one willing to listen to it or in fact the person  is too caught up in their self to tell it.  

While the world is beautiful and the people are great, sometimes things get out of hand.  I think that alcohol and cigarettes (along with every other thing there is to smoke) should not exist.  I hate the thought of getting drunk, smoking weed and having mindless sex with random people.  It annoys me when people don’t realize their own potential.  It annoys me even more when people just blindly follow others and don’t think for themselves.  Low self-esteem is my biggest pet peeve.  Coming at a close second is when people use their rough past/childhood as an excuse for everything. Like, get over it. I can almost guarantee that about 90% of the  world's adult population had a rough childhood but there are those who choose to not let that stop them from having a great future. These are just my personal beliefs and I won't "hate" on anyone who partakes in these activities, I'll just be annoyed (not that it should matter to them because it is a free world after all).

Besides losing my family and friends, my greatest fear is losing myself.  That is, losing my desire for adventure and knowledge.  I dread the thought of becoming a workaholic who has no time to enjoy life.  I also don't like the thought of having no one fun and understanding to share life adventures with.  I don’t think there would be anything sadder than traveling the world alone, for example.  “Happiness isn’t real if it isn’t shared” a friend pointed out to me once.  It’s so true.  

There are so many things I want to accomplish in my life.  I created this life list after reading about a brilliant man named John Goddard in a school textbook once. I needed that inspiration and it came just in time.  I was bored with life. I was only 13 but already school had become the most boring routine in which I felt like I learned absolutely nothing day after day and was just wasting my time even going.  During class sometimes I’d talk so much and do random nonsense that the teacher would have to stop and stare at me to shut up and pay attention.  I just wanted to learn. It was the one and only time in my life that I felt like life had no purpose.

I just read and read. I read things I was actually interested in; things that made me feel enlightened.  I began reading philosophy (particularly Confucius’ Analects, Aristotle and Plato) and National Geographic articles online.  One day I brought home the textbook from school and just opened and started reading that too, when I stumbled upon the great story of John.  He was 15 when he created his life list of 127 items.  He had completed 109 of those amazing things which included climbing mountains, flying aircraft, exploring the world, writing a book and much more. (see his list here http://www.johngoddard.info/life_list.htm ).

It was then, back in 2005, that I was inspired to create my life list (see next blog).  Making a list, some would say, is a set up for disappointment but that’s not how I see it. I see it as an adventure, it keeps life exciting. I’d have fun doing it and wouldn’t be disappointed if I didn’t accomplish it all, but I probably will accomplish it all. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment